Maria Mateo Law
Top Rated Immigration & Naturalization Law Lawyer.

Maria Mateo Law Blog

Click on title of post in black to read.

Investment and Business Visas

Welcome to Maria Mateo Law, where I hope to give you the latest legal information on the things that matter to you and your families. I hope the information I provide on my blog posts are helpful and very useful to you, but if there is anything else that concerns you and that they do not answer, feel free to CALL ME! 
(718) 268-0384 if you have any further questions than my blog posts provide. 


Investment and Business Visa

B1 and B2:
Visitor Visas

The visitor visa is a type of non-immigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the U.S. temporarily for business (B-1) or for pleasure, tourism or medical treatment (B-2).

International travelers with visitor visas comprise a large portion of temporary visitor travel to the United States every year.

E-1 and E-2:
Treaty and Investor Visas

Investors and traders and their employees may receive visas to carry on substantial trade between the U.S. and the treaty country, or to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which the foreign national has invested, or is in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital.  See a list of eligible countries

E visas are generally issued for a period of two (2) to five (5) years depending on the volume of trade or the size of the investment.  The E visa status is renewable as long as the principal continues maintaining their status with the qualifying organization.

Derivative E visas are available for Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age in order to accompany the principal alien. 

Spouses may obtain employment authorization from after admission to the U.S. 
Dependent children are not authorized to work in the U.S. but may but may study in the United States without a student (F-1) visa.

E-1 Trader

Applicant must be a national of a treaty country and the trading firm for which the applicant is coming to the U. S. must have the nationality of the treaty country.

The international trade must be “substantial” in the sense that there is a sizable and continuing volume of trade. The trade must be principally between the United States and the treaty country, which is defined to mean that more than 50% percent of the international trade involved must be between the United States and the country of the applicant’s nationality.

Applicant must be employed in a supervisory or executive capacity, or possess highly specialized skills essential to the efficient operation of the firm. Ordinary skilled or unskilled workers do not qualify.

E-2 Investor

An E-2 visa is for a non-U.S. citizen who will own and/or work at a company in the U.S. which is majority owned by nationals of the non-U.S. citizens country. The person can work as an owner/operator or as a high-level manager or person with special knowledge.

Applicants for an E2 visa can either purchase an existing business or start their own business. In order to file, the applicant must show that the company has invested or will invest a substantial amount of money in the company. The exact amount of the investment is not stated in the law, but the law does require that a substantial amount of money be invested compared to the overall value of the company. Also, the company must employ other U.S. workers; the company cannot employ just the foreign national owner. If the company hires independent contractors, the government can take this into account when deciding whether to issue the E visa.

The applicant must take the steps to start your business before starting the immigration paper work. If the applicant purchases an existing business, we will need copies of all the purchase documents.

Australians in specialty occupations

The E-3 visa is a visa only for citizens of Australia to work in specialty occupations in the U.S.  The E-3 visa is similar in many respects to the H-1B visa. Important differences include the fact that spouses of E-3 visa holders may work in the United States without restrictions, and that the E-3 visa is renewable indefinitely (in two-year increments). Visas issued to spouses and children are not included in the E-3 quota, and spouses and children do not need to be Australian citizens.

E-3 visas are non-immigrant visas. Accordingly, E-3 visa holders must prove their intent to return to Australia when the E-3 job is finished. This is significantly different from an H-1B visa, which is also a non-immigrant visa, but allows dual intent. Thus, although an H-1B visa holder may apply for permanent residency (a green card) while working on an H-1B visa, an E-3 visa holder may not.

However, E-3 visas may be renewed indefinitely (in theory) whereas any one H-1B visa is valid only up to six years (unless the H-1B holder begins the green card process, in which case the H-1B is extended during the time the green card application is pending).

EB-5: Visas for Immigrant Investors

While the above mentioned visas are nonimmigrant visas and do not qualify for a ‘green card’, the EB-5 preference class allows a path to permanent residence.

The EB-5 immigrant investor visa program was established to create U.S. jobs by attracting foreign capital to the United States.

The basic requirements for this program are an investment of $1 million dollars (or $500,000 in a high unemployment or rural area) in a commercial enterprise that will create full-time employment for at least ten (10) workers. The investor may also choose to invest in a pre-approved “regional center.”

Maria Mateo in New York has years of experience in most types of visa applications.
Call (718) 268-0384 or email Mariam Mateo Law  to schedule a consultation.